Re: FESCo wants to ban direct stable pushes in Bodhi (urgent call for feedback)

On 02/26/2010 08:00 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 01:40 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Bill Nottingham wrote:
>>> While the ethos as defined on the wiki mentions staying close to upstream
>>> and getting the latest software, there's nothing that says that it's done
>>> via updates. I would not categorically state that your reading is the
>>> only valid reading, or even close to the canonical one.
>>>
>>> In fact, the wiki implies that this is done via the rapid release cycle,
>>> not updates.
>>
>> It may not be strictly codified, but in practice it is a big part of what
>> Fedora is and many users choose it for that. And it is also the main
>> technical difference between us and Ubuntu. (I know there's also the
>> licensing stuff, like Ubuntu bundling proprietary drivers, but that's not
>> that big a difference in practice, it's not like those drivers cannot be
>> easily removed (or added, yuck!).)
>>
>>         Kevin Kofler
>>

> You keep speaking, authoritatively, about what Fedora is.  As of yet, I
> haven't seen anything from our leadership that would agree with your
> statements.

To be pedantic, Fedora is what it is.  What the leadership has to say
doesn't really matter in terms of what Fedora *is*, only in terms of
what Fedora is *supposed to be*.  In order to know what Fedora really
is, a person would need to look over the updates that have been pushed
to F-11 and F-12 and compare those to what's in rawhide and maybe F-13
and see if wholesale package updates are being reserved for rawhide or
if wholesale updates are being pushed on down into the stable releases.
 At that point you would know for sure what Fedora is, not what it's
supposed to be.  I say this because, obviously, different people read
the part about First differently and do different things.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at