Re: RFC: Disabling blinking cursor by default

Josh Boyer wrote:
On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 02:13:18AM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
Josh Boyer wrote:
On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 01:29:05AM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
Le mardi 03 février 2009 à 17:24 +0100, Tomasz Torcz a écrit :

  Uhm, sorry? The talk was of about 1-2W. Given that my Thinkpad T400
could go to 10,3W when idle
But when it's idle, you are in screensaver or blank screen with no
cursor anyway. The "wins" are massively overhyped,
Agreed.

I think it's time to demand measurement procedures such that people can reproduce this claim.
Those were already provided.
Are you referring to Felix Miata's table?

To me these read more as a joke but real defined testing scenarios.

No.  Matthew already outlined exactly how he took his measurements.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2009-January/msg02387.html
OK, he measured a random sample in a single setup, without providing details of what he actually did - Without providing these details, it's just one sample without much significance.

He did not specify which software was running, what with this machine during the measurement etc.

Also: 1-2W of ca. 100W is 1-2% of the absolute value.
If the measurement device should be this
http://www.powermeterstore.com/p1206/watts_up_pro.php?p_tab=specs
which is specified to have an accuracy of
"+/- 3% (loads above 10 watts)",
then this measurement is below the accuracy of the device and not much more but a "tendency".

Ralf