Kevin Kofler wrote:

And presumably you (and everybody else) would wait out the "until known
good" period; and as nobody tried it before, get to keep the pieces of
the resulting breakage...
If that is true, then it would mean there's nobody who wants bleeding
edge. That in turn would mean that Fedora should be redefined to not be
bleeding edge, because nobody wants it that way...

The problem is that users are asking for contradictory/impossible things:
they want new versions as soon as possible, i.e. the day upstream releases
them, but also updates tested for weeks.

That's only contradictory because you make it so. In the lifespan of a fedora package, it will exist as a barely-tested release or feature update, perhaps quickly followed by many updates with needed fixes, then aging into being mostly well-tested code. But by bundling all the packages together in rolling updates you make it impossible to avoid the barely-tested instances on machines where you can't risk them even though they may only have a short lifespan.

> Fedora currently has a good
compromise (new versions normally get 1-2 weeks of testing, and major
changes known to break things are only pushed to Rawhide), people who need
something more conservative should be using a more conservative
distribution.

Can you back that up with statistics that show your initial package releases to updates rarely need fixes?

And there's also a Prisoner's Dilemma problem here: users moving to the
conservative update stream => fewer testers for updates-testing and updates
=> more breakage => more users moving to the conservative update stream and
the vicious circle is complete.

I think you have that completely backwards. If I had some reason to think that tomorrow's update wouldn't crash my machine or lose access to some of my devices, I'd run fedora on a lot more machines, and I'd run at least one for testing things as soon as possible. And I'd expect the same from others. That is, if you can make it possible to get either just-released or aged/tested packages out of the repo, you'll get more of both kinds of users.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx