Jeff Spaleta wrote:
On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It could be as simple as batching updates: suppose everything but critical
security fixes and corrections for known-bad updates only updated every few
weeks, and the user could could choose (with a permanent option) whether any
particular machine should update on the leading or trailing edge of this
window.

1) Couldn't you get most of what you want by having a yum plugin that
deliberately held back updates which were too new for your local
administration needs? if package build/release datestamps were
available in the repository metadata? We already have the security and
bugfix flags in the metadata.

Maybe, but the repos would still have to have overlapping package sets and the yum plugin would have to be able to distinguish between a new 'feature-update' package that it should defer and a fix to the last version that it should accept. And it doesn't do much for the case where I find an issue on the test machine that doesn't get fixed before the normal time to accept updates on the critical ones.

2) 'known bad' assumes we actually know that updates are bad before we
release them. If we knew they were bad we wouldn't release them at
all.

Known-bad in this scenario means detected after the initial rollout but before the end of the window to the next 'new code' push. Being able to avoid those and get the fixed version instead on your critical machines would make using fedora a lot more practical.

Or, pick a time frame reasonable both for mirrors to hold updates and for
users to complete testing (2 months?) and only remove packages after their
replacements have reached that age.

Or, what if one machine's yum automatically acted as a proxy for another's
update, perhaps with an error generated if the package hadn't been
downloaded already and if you want to be even more helpful, a warning if
none of the code from a package had been run on the intermediate machine?

Feel free to take over InstantMirror and extend it
https://fedorahosted.org/InstantMirror/

I think that's pretty far from what I'd want to happen.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx