Re: Fedora Workstation visual identity [was Re: Default plymouth theme]

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 11:43 AM, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Maybe not. I am frustrated. If you have a suggestion for a positive direction, I would like to hear it.

Let's start with plymouth.

The current charge theme just does not look very good, and putting our logo on a boot process that does not look very good is not in our best interest. I don't think the spinfinity theme is what we are looking for, either. So unless a new, better-looking Fedora plymouth theme materializes, we should definitely switch to the upstream spinner theme.

What would a Fedora plymouth theme look like? Let's take some inspiration from RHEL's boot theme. Watch the first 10 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsIqlwjNf4M

Note that the plymouth theme transitions seamlessly into the noise background of the login screen. It matches the upstream designs quite closely [1][2], which should keep GNOME people like me happy, but with a downstream flair (the artsy 7 in the background) that should be immeditately recognizable by anyone who has seen RHEL 7 boot up before. It's not recognizable to RHEL newcomers, since there's no logo, but it leaves you thinking "wow! that looks good" up until you reach the login screen with the RHEL logo. Then you think "wow! Red Hat looks good." The entire this is extremely well-executed. IMO this is exactly the effect we should be going for.

Can we get something like that for Fedora? An infinity etching on the noise background, perhaps? A few different mockups along this line?

Michael

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/BootOptions
[2] https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/LoginScreen