Re: Fedora Workstation visual identity [was Re: Default plymouth theme]

On Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 05:14:45PM +0000, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > > Since the last time, we got a default hostname of "fedora" visible on
> > > the network, for UPnP and mDNS services, the Details panel patch to
> > > show the OS version in the Settings will soon be getting upstream, so
> > > it's not nothing.
> > The details panel? Are you kidding?
> No, Bastien wasn't kidding, And I don't think your response will lead
> this discussion into a productive direction.

Maybe not. I am frustrated. If you have a suggestion for a positive
direction, I would like to hear it.

Since there has not been any progress, I have a basic suggestion that I
think we should start with. For F28, let's do what Endless OS does:

 1. A nifty, quick boot animation with their logo and name

 2. The logo on a panel in the corner of the screen, always visible and
    always on

This may not be perfect, but let's start by following what they're
doing, and we can refine from there as designers come up with even
better ideas.

> But if we need to go over it again, lets do it: Fedora needs to first
> and foremost differentiate with awesome functionality. People will
> only associate warm and positive feelings with the logo you force
> onto them if they are wowed by the experience.

Sure. But: I think we're doing well on that front. All of this stuff as
Christian points out is *awesome*:

  https://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2017/10/19/looking-back-at-fedora-workstation-so-far/

We can do more, and we will, but I don't think we need to hold back for
*perfect*.

> > I think this is a good idea, but it's hardly sufficent. I'm not sure
> > it really fits with the direction Workstation is going — I notice
> > Terminal isn't even in the default Dash.
> Have you ever met a fedora user who didn't know how to get to a terminal ?
> Honest question, you probably meet more Fedora users than me.

I know some who rarely use it.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>