Re: Fedora Workstation visual identity [was Re: Default plymouth theme]

On Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 01:31:46PM -0500, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Matthias, Rishi and myself are the only people who added any information to
> the "Downstream Branding" page on the GNOME wiki, and nobody asked us to
> add anything more.

I'm not a designer. But in any case, the obvious things that I've
suggested — and that Endless has done — are already on the list. Again,
if someone has something better, let's do that. But let's _start
there_.

> It's not. It just makes things worse. It's like we never had those
> discussions in the past. Keep asking the same thing, and that one time
> when we're not looking, you'll slip this change past us.

I haven't slipped any change past anyone. I don't want to. What I want
is for the people working on this to do things to help Fedora succeed.
I don't want to have to keep arguing that we're not Ralph Lauren or
whatever fashion brand people are covering up on their coats. That's
not useful. Fedora has a strong, positive brand, and we have a great
logo and visual language strongly tied to our community identity. Let's
take that and put it into action.

> I'm pretty sure that the omni-presence of a logo isn't something that got
> explicitly requested by designers at Endless. Or the Ubuntu designers
> requesting the UI to be mostly orange.

Perhaps not. Yet, it's there. That's because this is important.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>