Re: Initial setup redundancy

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 3:36 PM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
There's an unfortunate conflict between wanting a disabled root user
by default; and the ensuing difficulty troubleshooting boot problems
because systemd demands only root can login when hitting emergency
target. An account in wheel is not an option.

Yeah that is annoying. Fortunately that only happens in cases where the system is already hosed: it's not reasonable to expect users to be able to recover from an emergency prompt. Fixing systemd would be great, but is not within the scope of this change.

It needs to prompt for username and password, and accept any user in wheel.

It *also* needs to use the same keyboard layout that's configured in GNOME. (I'm not sure if it currently does or not, but I suspect not.) Otherwise, the emergency prompt is practically limited to Americans....

Michael