Re: Initial setup redundancy

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 1:17 PM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-07-04 at 11:21 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 03, 2017 at 09:44:31PM -0500, mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ReduceInitialSetupRedundancy
>>
>> I'm definitely in favor of the user account changes. The current setup
>> is confusing for non-experienced users, especially because
>> administrator isn't checked by default. This leads to situations where
>> only a root account is created, and if you log in to Workstation in
>> X or (especially) Wayland as root, many things don't work in
>> non-obvious ways. Like, the GNOME user account panel.
>
> I don't think this is possible. If you only create a root password in
> anaconda, this is noticed at first boot, and g-i-s runs in its pre-GDM
> mode and forces you to create a user account before you reach GDM.

There's an unfortunate conflict between wanting a disabled root user
by default; and the ensuing difficulty troubleshooting boot problems
because systemd demands only root can login when hitting emergency
target. An account in wheel is not an option.

--
Chris Murphy