Re: Initial setup redundancy

On Wed, Jul 05, 2017 at 02:36:39PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 1:17 PM, Adam Williamson
> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm definitely in favor of the user account changes. The current setup
> >> is confusing for non-experienced users, especially because
> >> administrator isn't checked by default. This leads to situations where
> >> only a root account is created, and if you log in to Workstation in
> >> X or (especially) Wayland as root, many things don't work in
> >> non-obvious ways. Like, the GNOME user account panel.
> >
> > I don't think this is possible. If you only create a root password in
> > anaconda, this is noticed at first boot, and g-i-s runs in its pre-GDM
> > mode and forces you to create a user account before you reach GDM.
>
> There's an unfortunate conflict between wanting a disabled root user
> by default; and the ensuing difficulty troubleshooting boot problems
> because systemd demands only root can login when hitting emergency
> target. An account in wheel is not an option.

We *could* change systemd behaviour here. For example, it could detect
that root account is locked and permit any user to log in. Or we could
extend this, and somehow only allow users in wheel to log in. Such changes
would require some new code and config, but certainly they can done,
current behaviour is not set in stone.

Zbyszek