Re: flatpak issues in F26 alpha

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 6:01 PM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-04-05 at 17:32 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 3:14 PM, Adam Williamson
>> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > I thought the intent was that you should need admin privileges to do
>> > either. The only thing regular users are supposed to be allowed to do
>> > without admin privileges is *update* the system, though since that now
>> > requires a system reboot, I'm not sure even that should be allowed
>> > without auth any more.
>>

>> Ick.
>>
>> I want to see the OS and apps updated on a regular basis, by default,
>> no user intervention. Just do it. I've tacitly given permission for
>> this by installing Fedora already. It should be one of its
>> responsibilities. Like cleaning up /var/tmp.
>
> Well, it's about rebooting the system, not installing the updates.

Inhibit reboot if another user is logged in; disallow non-admins from
forcibly logging those users out.

Otherwise, on a *workstation* there's no good reason to prevent a
normal user from suspend, reboot, or shutdown. Of course a server is
different.

>> Android phone, I can install an application and not be asked to
>> authenticate anything beyond the lock screen.
>
> But Android phones generally aren't multi-user devices. I'm only
> talking about *non-admin* users, here. On a single-user system, the
> single user is likely going to be an admin.

Sure.

But anyway:

Since forever, macOS has had ~/Applications where a non-admin user can
install applications without authentication. Drag and drop. Done. Yes
non-admins can reboot the computer, and shutdown, and put it to sleep.

Android does application autoupdates without asking me, by default.
They happen whenever plugged into a charger. Thanks for not bugging me
about routine things like this.

Also, this reference has some interesting points about Android
multiuser behavior.
https://source.android.com/devices/tech/admin/multi-user.html

* Each user gets a workspace to install and place apps.
* Any user can affect the installed apps for all users.  ## not sure
what affect means, may not mean remove

My understanding of how a secondary user installs an already installed
application is that it's basically creating a link; it's not literally
downloading another copy of the binary and installing it.

Meanwhile on Windows with non-admin users, they're totally stuck. They
have an inept admin, who lets them have 6 month old or older web
browsers? They're fakaked. They can't update it. They can't replace
it. They can't use a substitute. Proven failure when it comes to
keeping things up to date.

--
Chris Murphy