Re: flatpak issues in F26 alpha

On Wed, 2017-04-05 at 17:32 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 3:14 PM, Adam Williamson
> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2017-04-02 at 09:44 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> > > Also: being able to install without authentication but not delete
> > > matches our behavior for system packages. I think it's silly to allow
> > > users to install stuff but not to remove it, but that's our status quo.
> >
> > I thought the intent was that you should need admin privileges to do
> > either. The only thing regular users are supposed to be allowed to do
> > without admin privileges is *update* the system, though since that now
> > requires a system reboot, I'm not sure even that should be allowed
> > without auth any more.
>

> Ick.
>
> I want to see the OS and apps updated on a regular basis, by default,
> no user intervention. Just do it. I've tacitly given permission for
> this by installing Fedora already. It should be one of its
> responsibilities. Like cleaning up /var/tmp.

Well, it's about rebooting the system, not installing the updates.
Having said that, if we already allow non-admins to reboot the system
without authenticating as an admin, then allowing them to trigger a
reboot to install updates isn't any worse.

> Especially flatpak applications - just update them. They can be rolled
> back if they break something.
>
> As for where to install, whether admin user or non-admin, I think the
> app needs to go outside of /home. Find another way to additionally
> embargo "user" apps behind the scenes, but storing them on /home I
> think is consuming the wrong resource.
>
> Android phone, I can install an application and not be asked to
> authenticate anything beyond the lock screen.

But Android phones generally aren't multi-user devices. I'm only
talking about *non-admin* users, here. On a single-user system, the
single user is likely going to be an admin.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey