Re: Another round of default app discussion

On Wed, 2016-03-23 at 14:03 +0100, Misha Shnurapet wrote:
> That being said, a component of Evolution demands laptop's processing
> power despite of Evolution being uninstalled. It's become essential to
> the desktop environment, I know, I know. But maybe for the sake of
> clarity it is time it changed its name to gnome-data-server?

	Hi,
the development of the data server begun as part of the evolution, thus
it was named evolution-data-server. It was never aimed to be only for
the evolution, as far as I know. It is not part of it at all too.

It seems to me that you claim only about the used name, that the
"evolution-data-server" looks odd for you due to the "evolution" part
of the name, which is there only for the historical reasons. I do not
think the rename to "gnome-data-server" is good for anything, even KDE
applications can use the evolution-data-server, aka when you do not run
GNOME at all.

There is no gain in the rename from my point of view, only too much
paper work and administration to adapt not only Fedora, but also
upstream parts, 3rd party projects, .... It doesn't worth the effort
and wasted time, from my point of view, because there are more
important things to be done. Like the (client) application doesn't mind
that much what structure name it'll use to get its calendar/address
book data, as long as it gets to that data. I mean, better focus on
functionality, than on paper work.

Just my opinion.
	Bye,
	Milan