Re: Another round of default app discussion

On Sat, 2016-03-12 at 11:10 -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:

> I have added Logs in Fedora just now, as I expect that will be
> uncontroversial and I don't see any value in diverging from upstream
> here.
>
> Bijiben is just not very good yet, and it's not under active
> development. There's no good reason for us to diverge from upstream
> here, and I expect it will be uncontroversial, so I've dropped it.

I agree with these two changes.

> I guess Evolution might be controversial; I use it religiously, and
> many of you probably do too. But the user interface is complex and
> confusing; users should not be exposed to this by default, barring
> drastic UI changes that are outside the scope of the Evolution
> project.
> Evolution is a great mail client for power users, but I'm confident
> that the average user will be better off with webmail services; folks
> who want a desktop client can simply install one, after all. We
> intend
> to replace it with GNOME Mail eventually, but nobody has started
> developing it yet. I propose we drop Evolution, but I have not done
> so
> yet, pending further discussion.

I don't see any viable alternative. I think this may have to go in the
same bucket as firefox.

> Boxes has too many serious bugs right now, so it cannot go into
> gnome-
> core yet, but we intend it to eventually. Since this is a significant
> application, I have not yet removed it from our default install,
> pending further discussion. My main concern is that it would look odd
> for us to remove such a significant app from the default install,
> then
> bring it back in a year or two. On the other hand, users won't notice
> thing unless they make a habit of reinstalling Fedora, and it's not
> good to include apps we can't fully recommend. It's not clear to me
> what choice is best here.

Please go into some more detail here. What are those serious bugs you
allude to ? I'm not aware of them.

> I propose we make temporary exceptions to keep Shotwell and
> Rhythmbox, until their intended replacements, Photos and Music, move
> into
> upstream's GNOME core moduleset. That will very likely happen for
> Photos for F25. I'm less certain about Music.

I think we should make this replacement explicit goals for F25, and
come up with criteria in advance for making this decision.