Re: Another round of default app discussion

On 03/14/2016 08:59 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Sat, 2016-03-12 at 11:10 -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
>

>> I have added Logs in Fedora just now, as I expect that will be
>> uncontroversial and I don't see any value in diverging from upstream
>> here.
>>
>> Bijiben is just not very good yet, and it's not under active
>> development. There's no good reason for us to diverge from upstream
>> here, and I expect it will be uncontroversial, so I've dropped it.
>
> I agree with these two changes.
>
>> I guess Evolution might be controversial; I use it religiously, and
>> many of you probably do too. But the user interface is complex and
>> confusing; users should not be exposed to this by default, barring
>> drastic UI changes that are outside the scope of the Evolution
>> project.
>> Evolution is a great mail client for power users, but I'm confident
>> that the average user will be better off with webmail services; folks
>> who want a desktop client can simply install one, after all. We
>> intend
>> to replace it with GNOME Mail eventually, but nobody has started
>> developing it yet. I propose we drop Evolution, but I have not done
>> so
>> yet, pending further discussion.
>
> I don't see any viable alternative. I think this may have to go in the
> same bucket as firefox.

In general, I agree with Michael that Evolution is fairly complicated and
perhaps overpowered for an average user. That said, an email client is expected
default functionality on a new computer and the backlash we would receive for
not shipping one at all would be significant. There are still many people out
there who use IMAP or POP email accounts with either no webmail interface or one
that is far more painful even than Evolution to navigate (I'm looking at *you*
Zimbra).

I'm not sure I agree with Matthias that there's no viable alternative, though.
Mozilla Thunderbird at least has a good guided first-launch experience. True,
it's not integrated with GNOME Online Accounts (which I would love to see, by
the way), but I'm not convinced that perfect integration is more important than
availability of common functionality.

Of course, the other question is whether work can be done to improve the
first-time usage experience of Evolution during the F25 timeframe. That could go
a long way towards nullifying this discussion. (Then again, if upstream's plan
is to replace it with a completely rewritten alternative, I can understand a
reticence to expend any effort improving the deprecated one).

tl;dr: Please don't ship without a default email client, but I don't
particularly care if it's Evolution.