Re: Underlying DE for the Workstation product, Desktop -vs- Workstation

On Mon, 2014-02-03 at 12:06 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Basically, nothing about any decision that has been made by FESCo, the
> Board, or the Workstation WG so far as I can see places any particular
> restrictions on us at all as to how we decide to define, describe and
> deliver desktops outside the one the Workstation WG decides to choose
> as
> the basis of their product.

"the Workstation WG decides to choose as the basis of their product"

Please don't do this, it's a really bad idea!

One of the major divisive actions taken by Ubuntu was to make
Canonical's own desktop Unity the default for that desktop.  There was a
huge outpouring of discontent and it fragmented their user-base.  You
should avoid that sort of situation at all costs. In that context there
shouldn't be a default desktop environment for the Workstation Product
if this proves to be too controversial which it is.

There can be officially Fedora Workstation "supported desktops" and the
select between Fedora branded versions of Gnome Shell (Gnome 3), Mate
(Gnome 2) and KDE (important!) available via the installer. This isn't
that different from installing a Fedora or CentOS server and being able
to select what kind of server your setting up such as Apache, NGINX or
Tomcat at the installer stage.

Perhaps part of unifying the Linux desktop space means staying away from
the whole "default desktop" idea and merely providing a limited
selection of "supported" desktops.