Re: Underlying DE for the Workstation product, Desktop -vs- Workstation

Dne 3.2.2014 14:38, Richard Hughes napsal(a):
On 3 February 2014 13:26, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Really why is the "workstation working group" dictating and decided that..
a) it's an single product
b) a single desktop environment
c) which desktop environment it is

The reality is, what we've done for the last 19 releases isn't
working. People don't know what "Fedora" is. Ubuntu has done a much
better job of marketing themselves, and I'm sure it's no small amount
due to the lack of confusion about their brand and offering. At the
moment people wanting a Fedora desktop are shown this:
http://fedoraproject.org/en_GB/get-fedora#desktops which is confusing
as hell. All desktops that look somewhat similar with different subtle
architectural, cultural or package changes in each. Compare to
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop which clearly has one product. Ubuntu
still has a KDE version, it's just not called "Ubuntu KDE" and placed
with the same prominence as "Ubuntu
The-one-most-people-are-actually-using"

If people want to go and build Kedora or MATEora that's fine for me,
and probably makes sense to share infrastructure and base package
sets. To allow users to choose a "spin" for our workstation product?
Crazy.

Richard.

I've yet to see the correlation between their marketing and confusion about the brand, and the impact on our "product". Perhaps it's just the marketing, not the freedom of choice, maybe we're offering the wrong desktop as the default choice, who knows... and what if we go their way of just offering our workstation product and people say "hey, this is not Fedora anymore, we might as well go with Ubuntu".

--
Lukáš Tinkl <ltinkl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Software Engineer - KDE desktop team, Brno