Re: Underlying DE for the Workstation product, Desktop -vs- Workstation

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 8:48 AM, Lukáš Tinkl <ltinkl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dne 3.2.2014 14:38, Richard Hughes napsal(a):
>
>> On 3 February 2014 13:26, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Really why is the "workstation working group" dictating and decided
>>> that..
>>> a) it's an single product
>>> b) a single desktop environment
>>> c) which desktop environment it is
>>

>> The reality is, what we've done for the last 19 releases isn't
>> working. People don't know what "Fedora" is. Ubuntu has done a much
>> better job of marketing themselves, and I'm sure it's no small amount
>> due to the lack of confusion about their brand and offering. At the
>> moment people wanting a Fedora desktop are shown this:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/en_GB/get-fedora#desktops which is confusing
>> as hell. All desktops that look somewhat similar with different subtle
>> architectural, cultural or package changes in each. Compare to
>> http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop which clearly has one product. Ubuntu
>> still has a KDE version, it's just not called "Ubuntu KDE" and placed
>> with the same prominence as "Ubuntu
>> The-one-most-people-are-actually-using"
>>
>> If people want to go and build Kedora or MATEora that's fine for me,
>> and probably makes sense to share infrastructure and base package
>> sets. To allow users to choose a "spin" for our workstation product?
>> Crazy.
>>
>> Richard.
>>

> I've yet to see the correlation between their marketing and confusion about
> the brand, and the impact on our "product". Perhaps it's just the marketing,
> not the freedom of choice, maybe we're offering the wrong desktop as the
> default choice, who knows... and what if we go their way of just offering
> our workstation product and people say "hey, this is not Fedora anymore, we
> might as well go with Ubuntu".

I think that's a fair observation, but I would urge the WG to set
aside marketing for a minute and focus on what they feel is the best
positioned DE from a technical and resource perspective to build the
product from.  We can play "what if" games on market uptake all day
long, but that is something we won't be able to observe until we have
a product that actually works, works well, and is consistent.

I'd also like to remind people that other Spins can and will still
exist.  If the teams working on those spins produce a high quality
release over a consistent period of time and they get a lot of uptake,
Fedora the _project_ still wins.

josh