Re: Updated Fedora Workstation PRD draft

On 11/27/2013 01:32 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 01:29:02PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>
>> There needs to be focus.  Where that focus is can surely be up for
>> debate, but I'd rather not just drive Workstation into irrelevance by
>> not learning from our past mistakes.  We can't focus on everything or
>> we'll wind up gaining nothing.
>
> Who do other desktop operating systems target?

Didn't Windows used to target the type of people who built their own PC
out of parts from PC catalogs, whereas Macs targeted the type of people
who didn't want to open up a hardware case?

I mean, it's kind of hard to talk about who other desktops target now,
because so much time has passed. E.g. I think the Alan Cooper method of
explaining this was to say that rolling luggage was not designed for
everybody. It was specifically designed for flight crew only. It came to
be that it was a widely-useful design and is probably the most common
type of luggage used by air travelers today. So now of course when you
go build a rolling luggage set you'll not be targeting just flight crew,
but that's because the initial focused design was successful beyond its
initial target user.

Again, roughly paraphrasing Alan Cooper:

It's better to target and make 20% of the market 90%+ happy with your
product rather than target 100% of the market and have them 20% happy
with your product.

I think when you focus finely and create a high level of satisfaction
with that finely-scoped initial target, you can then expand. To expand
before you've really gotten that initial success makes the entire
process more difficult and success less likely.

~m