Re: The new gnome-software application

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Allan Day <allanpday@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I don't want to get too bogged down in technical details. However, I
> do think that it is worth thinking about the user experience that we
> are aiming for here.
>
> First of all, it is important that the Software application can be
> used without long lag times, delays or (worse) locks. This applies to
> almost all aspects of the application:
>
>  * searching or browsing categories
>  * viewing details about an application
>  * launching the application and getting a useful initial view
>  * installing/removing applications
>  * updating software
>
> Richard: while the highly abstracted technical design that you have
> come up with does solve some issues, I am a little concerned that it
> sidesteps some of these requirements. My primary concern is that
> Software should provide a snappy and dynamic experience. In general my
> view is that we should work towards a stack that provides the
> experience that we want. ;)
>
> With my downstream hat on, I would say that one of the big issues with
> the GNOME PackageKit front ends on Fedora is yum locks. The long
> delays these cause is just terrible from a UX point of view. They can
> also result in confusion ("Waiting in queue?! Queue for what?!") We
> should take this opportunity to engage with the downstream components
> that affect the Fedora software install experience in order to resolve
> these issues. Does anyone know who we should be talking to?

We could use zif but FESCo vetoed that, because we would be shipping
two different dep solvers by default.
Once DNF replaces yum (no idea when this is supposed to happen), we
could just port zif to the use the hawkey lib (which takes care of dep
resolving) so we can use zif without having to worry about yum's
design (which isn't really suitable for being used in a GUI
application), while still having just one depsolving logic system
wide.