Re: The new gnome-software application

On 03/06/2013 05:38 PM, Richard Hughes wrote:
On 6 March 2013 22:18, Ryan Lerch <rlerch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The Application-focused installation tool is an issue that we really need to
solve in Fedora
This isn't a Fedora specific problem.
I did not say it was a Fedora-specific problem. However, this is a Fedora list, so the discussion has been primarily how to solve this issue for Fedora.

, hoever, this discussion is seemingly devolving into  a
low-level argument about technologies and implementation details.
Right, my point is basically that something has to provide the data.
We can't wave our hands in the air and proclaim "it should work like
THIS" if we've not got the resources to make it happen.

Is there a high-level writeup anywhere of the design of the GNOME-software
tool?
I guess my blog post and the code is pretty much all we've got.

How it each feature in the GNOME-software tool is supposed to interact
with the technologies that keep popping up in this discussion (OCS,
AppStream)?
I've designed plugins to allow gnome-software to use lots of different
resources. At the moment on fedora, the resources that work are:

hardcoded: static favourite apps, core apps and ratings
packagekit: gets updates and installed packages
desktopdb: uses the PackageKit desktop.db cache to map package names
to desktop names
datadir-apps: uses the files in /usr/share/applications to provide
icons and translations for installed applications

Plugins that won't work with Fedora:
appstream: uses the .sql and .tar.gz files to provide translations and
icons for not-yet-installed applications

Using this, we can start thinking on how to leverage the
current fedora infratructure we have (Fedora Packages, Tagger, Fedora
Accounts System) to either complement or replace things like OCS in this
ecosystem.
My plan is to write fedora-specific plugins to interface to things
like Tagger and FAS.

Either way, having clear documentation on how this is supposed to function
would be a good place to start.
Sure. I only started hacking on gnome-software a few weeks ago, and so
it's all a bit under-documented. I'm happy to answer as many questions
here as you like :)

I'll also post some more docs in the git repo when I've landed the
plugin branch.

Richard.

This is the point I am trying to make. There seems to be all these different parts / plugins / APIs / interfaces that are being suggested to solve this issue, however, no documentation or plan on how we can tie them all together to make a seamless experience for a user to install an Application.

cheers,
ryanlerch