Re: The new gnome-software application

On Tue 05 Mar 2013 02:32:37 PM EST, Richard Hughes wrote:

On 5 March 2013 19:19, Ryan Lerch <rlerch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has seen the work GNOME has been doing on the new version of GNOME Software? It has the same name as the packagekit GUI that is currently in Fedora, so i assume that it is going to replace it, but with
more of a focus on Applications rather than Packages.

Yes, the plan is to rename the old "Software" something like "Package
Installer" or something when it's ready to be included by default,
when it's ready, if that's what we want.

There is already a working version of it that can be easily built from
source on Fedora 18:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-software/

Woh, steady on. It's pre-alpha at the moment :)

And it seems to be based off the designs that are mocked up here:
https://live.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Software

Correct.

It does not yet have individual overview pages for each
application like the mockups.

Right, agreed. It's kinda mocked up in the .glade file, there's just
no code behind it yet.

Does anyone here have any more thoughts on this new tool, and how this
approach might interact with the way we package and distribute software in
Fedora?

I think the fact it's got a pluggable backend loader means we can
carry on with packages, although because Fedora doesn't ship AppStream
data in the repos (unlike Ubuntu, Suse, etc) not-yet-installed
applications are going to look pretty bad. I don't have a solution
there, but *something* (be it some kind of web service or local file)
needs to provide the application data.

Richard

Does this mean that the Application data will be something that Fedora will need to host in addition to the data already in the packages?

Also, the current mockups for the applications page on GNOME wiki don't have any ratings or comments for applications. Was this something that was considered in the design? (although this sounds like it will encounter the same issue as the application data, needing something external outside the packages)

Have you got any further information on the design thinking behind the "OS Updates"? will that just install all the non-applications packages that are available at the time? furthermore, if one of my applications needs a separate package updated as a dependency, will it install the entire "OS update"? or will it just update the packages are required to update that application?

Finally, even though they aren't GUI applications, should standalone terminal applications (e.g. mutt, irissi or vim) also be considered an "Application"?

sorry for the rapid fire questions!

cheers,
ryanlerch