Re: Gwibber by default?

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 10:53:36PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 04/06/2010 10:39 PM, Luke Macken wrote:
> >
> > What proprietary software does the current backend rely on?  Seems like
> > it only relies on CouchDB/desktopcouch.
> >

> What is the use of the current backend by itself?   Canonical's focus is
> the tie into Ubuntu One, where the server side is proprietary.  While,
> nothing is stopping integration of Fedora with Ubuntu One,   I don't
> think that is the route we want to go.   The alternative is to develop a
> fully free software server side software that works with CouchDB and
> host it within Fedora infrastructure.  Are we going to do that?

The current backend stores data in couchdb, and allows for replication.
With this backend, we could potentially deploy our own CouchDB and offer
our own "FedoraOne".  It doesn't rely on any of the proprietary code
that UbuntuOne runs -- it should be able to connect up to any
couchdb/desktopdouch setup instead of UbuntuOne.

Now -- I'm not certain that this is actually consistent with reality;
I'm just basing this on the conversation that I had with the Canonical
employee driving this initiative.  From what I understood, we could
deploy our own CouchDB instance and provide the same sort of
configuration replication services that UbuntuOne provides (aside from
the music store and all of that other proprietary stuff that they add on
top of it).

luke