Re: Gwibber by default?

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 08:54:01PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 04/06/2010 08:49 PM, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Luke Macken <lmacken@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> However, if "erlang on the desktop" is The
> >> Future, then we may want to get an adoption plan together.
> >>
> > It's certainly *A* Future, but it's one that Canonical is putting a
> > lot of weight behind so I'd rather be prepared rather than blindsided.
> >

> Canonical's cloud activities rely on proprietary services they have
> developed. I wouldn't want to replicate that strategy at all.

Luka and I talked to one of the Canonical Ubuntu One devs at PyCon.
According to him, while Canonical is getting behind this to leverage their
proprietary service, the Canonical Engineers are architecting it so that it
doesn't rely on the proprietary stuff and can provide useful services
without it.  IIRC, he had the example of being able to painlessly sync your
settings saved in desktop couch to all the computers on your home LAN.

My impression is that Ubuntu One allows you to sync to other computers
across an Internet connection.  I'm not sure how deeply tied that
functionality is to the service or if it would be relatively straightforward
to write a new backend for that.

-Toshio