Re: Gwibber by default?

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Luka and I talked to one of the Canonical Ubuntu One devs at PyCon.
> According to him, while Canonical is getting behind this to leverage their
> proprietary service, the Canonical Engineers are architecting it so that it
> doesn't rely on the proprietary stuff and can provide useful services
> without it.  IIRC, he had the example of being able to painlessly sync your
> settings saved in desktop couch to all the computers on your home LAN.
>
> My impression is that Ubuntu One allows you to sync to other computers
> across an Internet connection.  I'm not sure how deeply tied that
> functionality is to the service or if it would be relatively straightforward
> to write a new backend for that.

>From what I have seen so far both Ubuntu One and Desktop Couch are
adding an "ease of use" layer on top of the native CouchDB
replication.  CouchDB replication works by sending JSON objects over
HTTP between two CouchDB instances.

Desktop Couch uses DBus to make it easy to set up per-user CouchDB
instances and Avahi to pair those CouchDB instances on a LAN.

Ubuntu One adds the ability to sync your desktop CouchDB instance with
a private CouchDB instance running on Canonical's servers.

(These are just my guesses, I haven't read the code line-by-line.)

--
Jeff Ollie