Re: Gwibber by default?

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 12:43:30PM -0500, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Luke Macken <lmacken@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > What proprietary software does the current backend rely on?  Seems like
> > it only relies on CouchDB/desktopcouch.
>
> This is just off the cuff, but CouchDB/desktopcouch is the "front end"
> i.e. runs on the local system.  You also need to have the Ubuntu One
> client tools[1] running locally (which is GPLv3) to manage pairing
> your desktop with the cloud service, signing up for service etc.  On
> the back end you would need to be running CouchDB plus software for
> creating and managing accounts, and probably lots of other
> stuff[2][3].  It's the stuff that runs in the cloud that Canonical is
> keeping proprietary.
>
> [1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client
> [2] https://launchpad.net/ubuntuone-infrastructure
> [3] https://launchpad.net/ubuntuone-servers

Ah, interesting.  I noticed that the desktopcouch-tools has a pairing
utility, but it sounds like we would need seperate code to pair the
user's databases with the central service.

As far as allowing users to use this to sync their configuration across
multiple machines on their local network -- that /should/ be possible
with the current code, right?  If that is the case, even without a
central service behind it, I do see value in that.

As far as creating a Fedora "cloud" service for configuration
storage/syncing -- that is a whole other story.  It is apparently going
to require diving into the ubuntuone code to see what it actually does,
along with determining what is open & freely available for us to use.
When speaking with Canonical guys behind this at PyCon, they made it
sound to me like all we would have to do is drop in CouchDB and have
things Just Work.

luke