Re: system-config-soundcard

Le ven 01/10/2004 Ã 11:36, Paul Nasrat a Ãcrit :
> On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 11:13 +0200, Matias Feliciano wrote:
> > Le ven 01/10/2004 Ã 09:50, Bastien Nocera a Ãcrit :
> That discussion should happen on this list and you'll need to
> work with the maintainer.

Honestly : No.
See many complains in fedora-test-list about the sound. Then I take some
time to fix audio (not only s-c-sc, see this for example :
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-September/msg01233.html ) for the "fun" and to contribute as I can.
s-c-sc is not critical to me and now I don't like why all this is going
on.

>   As you said it's GPL you are free to do what
> you want, but co-operation/collaboration will get things done quicker.
>
> > OK, contributions are limited to bug report.
> > Don't know that.
>
> Not entirely true, filing a bug means that it can be tracked and doesn't
> get lost, say if a maintainer is away, or misses a mail on list.  Also
> it can serve to centralise report.
>
> Patches are certainly welcome but you have to work with people - that
> means splitting things up and separate bug reports so things are
> discreet and manageable.

Painful in my case right now. Trust me.
At the begin this is what I want to achieve. But with backward
compatibility in mind (how to test since I only have FC3T2 ?), split in
independents patch ... This is too hard, it will take too much time for
a ~500 lines program.

> > Don't try again (with you only).
> > Good bye, I am tired with you.
>
> I think that's a bit harsh to be honest.  As Bastien explained he took
> over maintenance recently, we're in development freeze right now -
> that's part of the process.
>
> I don't think anyones trying to be hostile.

Is not about "hostile". It's about to take care a minimum attention to
contribution.
Bastion is not hostile. He don't want to spend time with me. Why ? I
don't know and don't want to know now.
He don't read the url I place here (fedora-config-list). Don't read
rc.sysinit whereas I state in many place that modules are not loaded on
demand with udev, ....
I take the time to read his code, understand what goes wrong, patch,
test, fix any useful reply (avoid loading module, firstboot), lean
python (never use python before!), post some messages here, ...

What he does ?
Point a comment that content "Ugly".
Great.

>   That sort of attitude is
> unproductive.  Can we try again, please.  Often wires get crossed in
> threads
>
> Part of open source development is "co-operation", and compromise. That
> includes working with upstream.

For the record, I never asked my patch in FC3 (first post about my
patch) :
        Since my version is not close to Fedora, I doubt Fedora want to make it
        upstream.

Here "upstream" mean FC3 in my mind at that time :-)
s-c-sc is a very small programme (less than 500 lines in my version)
it's not the kernel :-). Switching from one branch to another is no a
big deal or risky.
btw, who set the maintainer of s-c-sc ? The community ? No. So you can't
compare s-c-sc and Linux on how the project is managed.

I will fill some bug reports.

PS : seems there is a virus/worm ("ec.lj@xxxxxxx's Autoreply").