Re: system-config-soundcard

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 11:13 +0200, Matias Feliciano wrote:
> Le ven 01/10/2004 Ã 09:50, Bastien Nocera a Ãcrit :

> Great to know that s-c-sc for FC3 will be backported to FC2.

Although I can't speak for s-c-sc, current Fedora principles is to move
to upstream releases rather than backporting, so if a update is required
or just a good idea (certainly there are some s-c-display things I want
to improve post freeze), then we'll update.

> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-September/msg01634.html
>         I fix these issues and "Ooops", remove all code unneeded by FC3
>         and do some cleanup.
>
> It's not the first time I state this even in fedora-config-list.
> Seems you don't want any external stuff (you don't read the previous
> url).
>
> > Yes, and we're dealing with bug reports one-by-one.
>
> Again, you don't read mes previous url :
>         So, what bug should I file ?

All bug reports and RFE's should be filed as separate bugzilla issues.
If you are proposing patches these should be split to only apply to the
single bug.   Not to be picky but this has been mentioned quite clearly
in the thread and by Jeff Spaleta:

"As for how to file bug reports. The best thing you can do is to file a
separate bug report for each separate problem that you have found."

This is to make tracking and development easier - it's a fairly common
development process in OSS.

Bugzilla is not the place for major architectural changes other than as
an RFE.  That discussion should happen on this list and you'll need to
work with the maintainer.  As you said it's GPL you are free to do what
you want, but co-operation/collaboration will get things done quicker.

> OK, contributions are limited to bug report.
> Don't know that.

Not entirely true, filing a bug means that it can be tracked and doesn't
get lost, say if a maintainer is away, or misses a mail on list.  Also
it can serve to centralise report.

Patches are certainly welcome but you have to work with people - that
means splitting things up and separate bug reports so things are
discreet and manageable.

> Don't try again (with you only).
> Good bye, I am tired with you.

I think that's a bit harsh to be honest.  As Bastien explained he took
over maintenance recently, we're in development freeze right now -
that's part of the process.

I don't think anyones trying to be hostile.  That sort of attitude is
unproductive.  Can we try again, please.  Often wires get crossed in
threads

Part of open source development is "co-operation", and compromise. That
includes working with upstream.  If you look at the kernel development
process often you have to keep resubmitting a patch, or redo in a
preferred way.

> Fedora crew : Sorry for the noise.

Take a deep breath.  We certainly welcome interest/participation and
others working on the various system-config tools, see the recent HIG
work done for apacheconf on this list.  I can understand that you are
frustrated, but that's part of the joy of collaborative development ;)

Don't just walk away due to misunderstanding.

Paul