Re: system-config-soundcard

Hello Matias, Jeff,

On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 05:50 +0200, Matias Feliciano wrote:
> Le jeu 30/09/2004 à 05:13, Jeff Spaleta a écrit :
> > On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 04:37:36 +0200, Matias Feliciano
> > <feliciano.matias@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Sorry for my English :o)
> > >
> > > I spend some times with audio setting and system-config-soundcard.
> >
> > I think you might need to move this discussion about the best way to
> > patch s-c-soundcard
> > to the fedora-config-list  mailinglist.
> >
> > As for how to file bug reports. The best thing you can do is to file a
> > seperate bug report for each seperate problem that you have found.
> > For example the unmute issue only unmuting the first card, seems to me
> > seperate than your issue with being able to configure the card order,
>
> I don't know if it's a issue since Fedora (s-c-sc) doesn't support it
> anymore.

Support for multiple soundcards was never in the code, and that it even
unmutes the first card is a bit of magic, as there isn't any code to do
that in there.

> > so at least those 2 issues should be filed in 2 seperate reports.
> >
> > Also if you have enhanced the codebase
>
> No user visible enhancement (except bugfix).
>
> >  you will want to create a patch
> > file that contains the differences between the original and yours and
> > attach the patch file to the appropriate bug report.
>
> Not easy for each bugs. The patch is here :
> http://feliciano.matias.free.fr/system-config-soundcard/mat.patch

Well, you'll need to split up the patch. Currently, it's not mergeable.
And as we're in a freeze, I can't even merge the bug fixes you've made:
http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/schedule/

> >  Futher discussion
> > of the value of the patches though and how to best re-work them if
> > re-working is needed is done in the system-config-soundcard.
>

> >   Its good
> > that you have taken the initiative to  play around with the codebase
> > and hack on it a little. But the best thing you can do is get on the
> > fedora-config-list and see if you can get some feedback from other
> > developers about your code.
>
> OK, move to fedora-config-list
> The initial post is here :
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-September/msg01634.html
>
> And this is my following question for fedora-test-list :
>         Does system-config-soundcard have to continue to load all
>         modules whereas initscript/kmodule should do this job ?

system-config-soundcard doesn't load the modules anymore, they're auto-
loaded when the drivers are needed.

Please, follow Jeff's advices if you want those bugs to be fixed soon.

Cheers

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess@xxxxxxxxxx>