Re: cryptsetup, LUKS, plausible deniability

Arno Wagner <arno@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 11:53:45PM +0200, Ivan Stankovic wrote:
>> I guess the goal here would be to have LUKS features (multiple passphrases,
>> ease of use, key splitting...) implemented in such a way that nobody can prove
>> that you're using encryption. Thoughts?

That's not plausible deniability.
That's probably not even one of the prerequisites for plausible
deniability (it *may be* a prerequisite of one specific kind of
implementation of plausible deniability - the truecrypt style): If there
is storage with lots of random-looking data on it, I'd consider this
proof enough for the use of encryption - especially in scenarios where
plausible deniability makes sense.

> If you want more, use TrueCrypt, but I would be very careful
> with plausible deniablility anyways. Your protection is primarily
> that they cannot force you to give up your keys. If you live
> in a country were they can, I propose to very seriously consider
> leaving that country for good. See also http://xkcd.com/538/

That's exactly the reason for plausible deniability. You know they are
able to force you to give them your key(s), so you prepare some keys to
give them (along with some data which makes some sense to be encrypted)
and the system gives you the ability to plausibly deny the existence of
more keys. Just in the hope they stop cutting your extremities after the
6th finger because you convinced them.

regards
   Mario
--
The secret that the NSA could read the Iranian secrets was more
important than any specific Iranian secrets that the NSA could