Re: dm-crypt plain sector IV is limited by 32 bits

Sorry for answering a bit late :)

Clemens Fruhwirth <clemens@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Brett Hewes<j1252621@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> implementation of crypt_iv_plain_gen() is limited by 32 bits. The xts-plain
>> mode can be used only for drives < 2 Terabytes. I think the current plain
> What does it do for 2 TB partitions? Die painfully, or silently
> overflow? If the former is the case, we can rule out that there
> existing installations and go ahead with that. If it's the latter

I have a 4.5T volume crypted with aes-xts-plain and it does definitely
neither die painfully nor does it lose or silently modify data - it's
filled for about 95% and I'm checking data integrity regularly, so I
think I know what I'm talking about in this case :)

That was btw. also the reason for me to ask for dm-crypted chunks in

regards
   Mario
--
Whenever you design a better fool-proof software,
the genetic pool will always design a better fool.