Re: aes-256-xts on a 2.5TB volume ... How much trouble am I in?

Christian Pernegger <pernegger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've recently finished setting up our new file server, whose largest
> filesystem is 2.5TB in size; ext3 on dm-crypt (aes-256-xts) on lvm on
> md-raid5. The setup seems fine, but googling for an unrelated
> performance problem brought to light some disconcerting news:
>
> 1) xts becomes more insecure the larger the encrypted volume is and is
> thus not recommended for volumes >1TB. Great. How bad is this in my
> case on a "makes cracking the encryption easier in theory" -- "any
> scriptkiddie can do it in 5 seconds" scale?

Regarding this you could have a look at a mail from Jonas Meurer to this
list with Message-ID: <20080902122833.GF29731@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> where he
forwards a mail from Micah Anderson to pkg-cryptsetup-devel@:

| According to the IETF NIST submission[0] for the tweakable block
| cipher xts (and I paraphrase here, as the document prohibits direct
| quotation): the proof yields strong security guarantees as long as the
| same key is not used to encrypt much more than 1 terabyte of data. Up
| until this point, no attack can succeed with probability better than
| approximately one in eight quadrillion. However this security
| guarantee deteriorates as more data is encrypted with the same
| key. With a petabyte the attack success probability rate decreases to
| *at most* eight in a trillion, with an exabyte, the success
| probability is reduced to *at most* eight in a million.

So, I would say that you are not in that big trouble with a 2.5T volume.
However, when "scriptkiddies" are in your attack vector, the more
important question arises: what do you expect them to be able to do?
When they are able to hack into your system, they simply have your key.

> 2) Something about *-plain being 32 bit only and thus limited to 2TB.
> What happens to data over 2TB? Less secure, not encrypted at all, kiss
> it goodbye?

the data above 2T is less secure but all data is less secure.
It is encrypted, it does not get lost and it does not overwrite other
data.

regards
   Mario
--
Evidently men are more intelligent than women. Every woman on earth
believes that men should be able to read minds. Every man knows this