Re: dm-crypt plain sector IV is limited by 32 bits

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Brett Hewes<j1252621@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found your e-mail in the the dm-crypt.c source code. The current
> implementation of crypt_iv_plain_gen() is limited by 32 bits. The xts-plain
> mode can be used only for drives < 2 Terabytes. I think the current plain
> mode should be renamed to plain32 and the new plain mode should support
> 64-bit sector number.

What does it do for 2 TB partitions? Die painfully, or silently
overflow? If the former is the case, we can rule out that there
existing installations and go ahead with that. If it's the latter
case, we can not change the semantics of an existing keyword, as this
would corrupt people's data after the 2TB boundary.

Please Cc dm-crypt@xxxxxxxx
--
Fruhwirth Clemens http://clemens.endorphin.org