Re: Re: dm-crypt plain sector IV is limited by 32 bits

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:04:42 +0200, Clemens Fruhwirth wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Brett Hewes<j1252621@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I found your e-mail in the the dm-crypt.c source code. The current
>> implementation of crypt_iv_plain_gen() is limited by 32 bits. The xts-plain
>> mode can be used only for drives < 2 Terabytes. I think the current plain
>> mode should be renamed to plain32 and the new plain mode should support
>> 64-bit sector number.
>
>What does it do for 2 TB partitions? Die painfully, or silently
>overflow?

Not something I've tried (I don't have that kind of storage atm!),
though looking at the code it's masked with 0xffffffff, so I'd expect
it to silently reset back to 0

>If the former is the case, we can rule out that there
>existing installations and go ahead with that. If it's the latter
>case, we can not change the semantics of an existing keyword, as this
>would corrupt people's data after the 2TB boundary.

i.e. plain and plain64 instead of plain32 and plain

Sounds reasonable as long as it's clearly documented, which shouldn't
be a problem.

--
Sarah Dean
FreeOTFE site: http://www.FreeOTFE.org/

For information on SecureTrayUtil, Shredders, On-The-Fly Encryption
(OTFE) systems, etc, see the URLs above.