Re: cryptsetup, LUKS, plausible deniability

I think this is the wrong approach. LUKS is not designed to hide
at all and trying to make it capable of doing so is very likely
a lot harder than to use something else, esoecially as several
solutions are already available.

Incidentially, using plain dm-crypt with a single zero-overwrite
of the decrypted device already works very well. I, for example,
use plain dm-crypt with a random key and zero overwrite to
erase devices and partitions. This is indistinguishable from
a denied encrypted volume. It is not feasible to hide the
encrypted data istelf, so this is as far as it goes.

If you want more, use TrueCrypt, but I would be very careful
with plausible deniablility anyways. Your protection is primarily
that they cannot force you to give up your keys. If you live
in a country were they can, I propose to very seriously consider
leaving that country for good. See also http://xkcd.com/538/
This _is_ realistic.

Arno

Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx