Re: cryptsetup, LUKS, plausible deniability

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 3:52 AM, Arno Wagner <arno@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you want more, use TrueCrypt, but I would be very careful
> with plausible deniablility anyways. Your protection is primarily
> that they cannot force you to give up your keys. If you live
> in a country were they can, I propose to very seriously consider
> leaving that country for good. See also http://xkcd.com/538/
> This _is_ realistic.

Indeed.  I also find that TC's plausible deniability has been touted
so often in so many fora that even some moderately tech savvy border
control types would have heard of it.  If I were to find TC on a
machine I'd assume there was a hidden volume -- so in a way TC is
making things *worse* for plausible deniability, putting at risk even
the people who genuinely don't have a hidden volume.

It's hard to publicise these things without these sorts of side
effects, so I'll shut up now :-)