Re: reinstallation

Hi Jonas,
here is the output:

sv3000:~# dpkg -l cryptsetup
Gewünscht=Unbekannt/Installieren/R=Entfernen/P=Vollständig Löschen/Halten
| Status=Nicht/Installiert/Config/U=Entpackt/Fehlgeschl. Konfiguration/
         Halb installiert/Trigger erWartet/Trigger anhängig
|/ Fehler?=(kein)/Halten/R=Neuinst notw/X=beide (Status, Fehler: GROSS=schlecht)
||/ Name                        Version                     Beschreibung
+++-===========================-===========================-======================================================================
un cryptsetup <keine> (keine Beschreibung vorhanden)
sv3000:~#

--> directly in the kernel.

sv3000:~# cryptsetup --version
cryptsetup 1.0.6
sv3000:~# cryptsetup luksDump /dev/sda2
LUKS header information for /dev/sda2

Version:        1
Cipher name:    aes
Cipher mode:    cbc-essiv:sha256
Hash spec:      sha1
Payload offset: 1032
MK bits:        128
MK digest:

MK salt:

MK iterations:  10
UUID:           6c2a5824-5594-4516-885b-4a82a5be9554

Key Slot 0: DISABLED
Key Slot 1: ENABLED
        Iterations:             115171
        Salt:

        Key material offset:    136
        AF stripes:             4000
Key Slot 2: DISABLED
Key Slot 3: DISABLED
Key Slot 4: DISABLED
Key Slot 5: DISABLED
Key Slot 6: DISABLED
Key Slot 7: DISABLED
sv3000:~#

sv3000:~# cat /proc/crypto
name         : aes
driver       : aes-i586
module       : aes_i586
priority     : 200
refcnt       : 1
type         : cipher
blocksize    : 16
min keysize  : 16
max keysize  : 32

name         : md5
driver       : md5-generic
module       : kernel
priority     : 0
refcnt       : 1
type         : digest
blocksize    : 64
digestsize   : 16

sv3000:~#

sv3000:~# dmsetup targets
-su: dmsetup: command not found
sv3000:~#

I cut the salt and digest.
Best regards
Rainer

Jonas Meurer schrieb:
Hello Rainer,

On 12/08/2009 RaMaier@xxxxxx wrote:
Here my description what has happened. Hopefully it becomes clearer now.
What I wrote were the initial steps I perforemed when I first set up
the partition (/dev/sda2). Again I did not repeat them now.
After my old PC had died I installed the RAID controller in a new PC
and installed Debian. (/dev/hda) cryptsetup is now already included.
(Thanks for the hint Arno)
Since it's a hardware controller the files on the not encrypted
partition (/dev/sda1) were immediately available.
Now I am looking for the steps I have to perform to access the data in
the encrypted partition (/dev/sda2) again, without destroying them.

When I now enter
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda2 tresor
I get Command failed: No steup backend available

please give some more information. i.e. paste the output of the
following commands (as root):

# dpkg -l cryptsetup

# cryptsetup --version

# cryptsetup luksDump /dev/sda2

# cat /proc/crypto

none of the commands modifies your partition, they only print
information about versions, partition types, crypto ciphers, kernel
crypto support, etc.

greetings,
 jonas