Re: reinstallation

Hello Rainer,

On 12/08/2009 RaMaier@xxxxxx wrote:
> Here my description what has happened. Hopefully it becomes clearer now.
>
> What I wrote were the initial steps I perforemed when I first set up
> the partition (/dev/sda2). Again I did not repeat them now.
> After my old PC had died I installed the RAID controller in a new PC
> and installed Debian. (/dev/hda) cryptsetup is now already included.
> (Thanks for the hint Arno)
> Since it's a hardware controller the files on the not encrypted
> partition (/dev/sda1) were immediately available.
> Now I am looking for the steps I have to perform to access the data in
> the encrypted partition (/dev/sda2) again, without destroying them.
>
> When I now enter
> cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda2 tresor
> I get
> Command failed: No steup backend available

please give some more information. i.e. paste the output of the
following commands (as root):

# dpkg -l cryptsetup

# cryptsetup --version

# cryptsetup luksDump /dev/sda2

# cat /proc/crypto

none of the commands modifies your partition, they only print
information about versions, partition types, crypto ciphers, kernel
crypto support, etc.

greetings,
 jonas