Re: reinstallation

I do not entirely understand your question, so I apologize if my answer
is not what you are looking for.

If you repeated those steps then any information on /dev/sda2 will be
lost forever.

"luksFormat" writes the luks header information, that includes the key
that decrypts the rest of the partition(device). If there is an old key
it will write over it making any old data on that luks partition
effectively unrecoverable.

"luksOpen" uses your supplied key to decrypt the device key stored in
the header information and then maps it to /dev/mapper/.

If I understand your original post, the "/dev/sda2" is currently
unencrypted data? If that is the case then you MUST copy that data over
to another device while you set up then encrypted partition, then
transfer it back, as the steps you listed will erase your old partition.

-MJ