Re: Partitions on loopback

Gabriel Jägenstedt wrote:
> However I'd prefer if I could format my usb as ext2 since I'm having
> such problems with vfat detecting on my kernel.

ext2 is not suitable for flash memory, because usually ext2 insist on
updating atime for reads. This causes unnecessary writes, and flash memories
usually have limited write cycles.

> However syslinux complains about that.
> Is there any alternative?

If I remember correctly, syslinux only works with VFAT/MSDOS file systems.

> I also can't find information about setting up with grub.
> in DE HOWTO this is what happens:
>
> title desktop
> root (hd0.0)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-desktop root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc desktop
>
> How would that be handled with loop-aes way?

Dunno. Let me know if you can make it work using GRUB.

> and what on earth shoul KBUILD_OUTPUT be set to when compiling loop.ko?

If your kernel sources are on same directory as object files, then
KBUILD_OUTPUT need not be set. If they are on different directories, then
KBUILD_OUTPUT must point to object directory.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-