Re: Somebody stop the junk mail!

OK, it sounds like a solution that would be acceptable to most people
(i.e. everyone who's said anything) would be something like:

- messages from subscribers automatically go through
- messages from whitelisted people automatically go through
- PGP/GPG-signed messages automatically go through
- replies to messages that already got through automatically go through
  (checked via the References/In-Reply-To header)  (We don't seem to be
  getting any automated replies and such on this list, so this should
  probably be safe, be feel free to disagree.)
- everything else gets rejected or held for further approval

To get onto the whitelist, there are some possibilities, depending on
what's easiest for the list administrators:

- obviously, we should initialize the list with people who already post
  frequently, if they're not subscribers.  The obvious one is Jari,
  although someone could look through the archive to see who else is a
  frequent poster.  (I say frequent poster because it would be sort of
  useless to whitelist someone who only sent one message back in 1985.)
- messages that fit one of the above acceptance criteria get their
  senders automatically added to the whitelist.  Maybe require N
  messages to be accepted.  For example, if I send 3 GPG-signed
  messages to the list, or 3 replies, then it's safe to assume that I'm
  a real person, and my address gets whitelisted.
- web-based signup -- enter your email address in a form, and it gets
  added to the whitelist. (pros: easy to set up; cons: less automatic)
- confirmation message gets sent to the sender, who must reply within a
  fixed time, otherwise the message is dropped.
- the admins could look over the held messages once a day, and whitelist
  the real messages.

These possibilities are, of course, not exclusive -- the administrators
could implement as many as they can.

That's my proposal.  If this sounds good to everyone else, I'll send
this to Rik.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@xxxxxxxxx> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA