Re: Somebody stop the junk mail!

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 05:03:23PM -0500, Hubert Chan wrote:

[...good suggestions...]

> To get onto the whitelist, there are some possibilities, depending on
> what's easiest for the list administrators:

[...other goo stuff...]

> - web-based signup -- enter your email address in a form, and it gets
>   added to the whitelist. (pros: easy to set up; cons: less automatic)

the Debian project has a pseudo-list, where people can subscribe their
posting-addresses.

Maybe it is a good idea to ask the Debian listmasters, what actions they
took against spam. Nearly all their list are open to non-subscribers, too,
IIRC.

> - confirmation message gets sent to the sender, who must reply within a
>   fixed time, otherwise the message is dropped.
> - the admins could look over the held messages once a day, and whitelist
>   the real messages.

- delay messages with a score lower some amount (maybe 3.0) for some time
  (e. g. 0.5 - 1 hour), then re-check it (razor, etc. should report it as
  spam then) and auto-accept if score is the same or less

- greylisting

> These possibilities are, of course, not exclusive -- the administrators
> could implement as many as they can.
>
> That's my proposal.  If this sounds good to everyone else, I'll send
> this to Rik.

Another thing that might be interesting: I've seen there is a NNTP gateway.
Has it been checked whether this is the source of the increased amount of
spam?

Greetings,
 Mike

-