Re: Somebody stop the junk mail!

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Hubert Chan wrote:

> What I'm proposing is that messages that meet any of the following
> criteria are accepted:
>
> - messages from subscribers
> - messages from whitelisted people

Would it be acceptable to have a "self whitelisting" system
here - ie. a "mailing list" that people can subscribe to,
but not post to, and subscribers from that silent list would
be allowed to post to the linux-crypto list ?

Something like that can be implemented in minutes, using
the software that is already installed.

> - PGP/GPG-signed messages (if spammers start signing their messages,
>   this can be made more strict -- e.g. signed messages with public key
>   on a keyserver, etc.)
> - replies to messages that already got through (checked via the
>   References/In-Reply-To header)

These two will be a bit harder, since ecartis only has a
blacklisting mechanism, but not a whitelisting one.

> - messages with a low SpamAssassin (or other spam filtering software)
>   score

This would let through a lot of the 419 mails, which seem
to be the bulk of the spam making it through the filters
currently.

Are you sure you want this ?

> Everything else is either rejected, or held for further approval by the
> administrators (depending on how much work this would create for the
> administrators).

Any volunteers ?

kind regards,

Rik van Riel