Re: Why you might want packages not containers for Ceph deployments

Hey Sage,

thanks for the reply.

Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Rook is based on kubernetes, and cephadm on podman or docker.  These
> are well-defined runtimes.  Yes, some have bugs, but our experience so
> far has been a big improvement over the complexity of managing package
> dependencies across even just a handful of distros.  (Podman has been
> the only real culprit here, tbh, but I give them a partial pass as the
> tool is relatively new.)

let me come back to a particular part of your message:

    "
    our experience so far has been a big improvement over the complexity
    of managing package  dependencies across even just a handful of distros.
    "

This is something I cannot understand at all. This is a process that for
most mid sized Open Source projects have automated years ago. And you
can even use containers for that!

Does it break on distro upgrade? Maybe. Is it trival? Probably in 90%
of the cases. Is it easy to spot? Almost always if you use CI.

*What* is exactly the complexity that you deal with? Where are the
problems? Is there an open issue that says

          "Reduce time and complexity of package build"

open anywhere? Can we join that discussion?

The message I get here is:

- Building packages is too hard for us
- let's make the life of everyone else more complex for a build case
  that works easier for us

I am not sure whether that's the right direction.

*If* this this really about complexity of package building, why did you
not shout out to the community and ask for help? I assume that one or
the other party on this mailing list is open for helping out.

Nico

--
Sustainable and modern Infrastructures by ungleich.ch