Re: Why you might want packages not containers for Ceph deployments

On 6/21/21 7:37 PM, Marc wrote:

I have seen no arguments why to use containers other than to try and make it "easier" for new ceph people.

I advise to read the whole thread again, especially Sage his comments, as there are other benefits. It would free up resources that can be dedicated to (arguably) more pressing issues.

Containers are not being used as they should be.

There is no "should be", there is no one answer to that, other than 42. Containers have been there before Docker, but Docker made them popular, exactly for the same reason as why Ceph wants to use them: ship a known good version (CI tests) of the software with all dependencies, that can be run "as is" on any supported platform.

Gr. Stefan