Re: Why you might want packages not containers for Ceph deployments

Because all of this reads way to negative regarding containers for me I wanted to give a different perspective.

Coming from a day to day job, that heavily utilizes kubernetes for its normal environment, I found cephadm quite like a godsent,

instead of having to deal with a lot of pesky details with installations and services, having to learn ansible or ceph-deploy, that tool did like 90% of everything in a way I already feel familiar with it.

Additionally, having some pools for not so important data using low replications counts, it is quite nice, that cephadm only concurrently upgrades osd's in matter that no service interruptions happen.

There are still some shortcomings (eg. some limitations when moving osd devices between hosts), but as it is still a relatively new tool that is to be expected.