Re: Why you might want packages not containers for Ceph deployments

I think the primary goal of a container environments are resource isolation. At least when I read about the history I never read anything about a tool for people to skip to learn something.

But you clearly portray the situation here. Nobody here is against container environment, because every tool has its purpose. But the container solution proposed here is not for the purpose of utilizing container benefits, but for creating a tool so 'I do not know what to do' people can use ceph. And because this is the development perspective and ceph is not really adapted for being used in containers, you get the current friction with accepting cephadm.

Eg. this command is wrong in my opinion

ceph orch device ls

What has a device list to do with having an OC or not?

I do not even know why ceph is working on something that uses Kubernetes, let the Kubernetes platform implement a ceph solution. If ceph wants be used in a container environment, start making the daemons ready to run in container environments.

So my question still stands: What problem is it actually that the cephadm dev team is trying to solve? That is not clear to me.