Re: Live migration of VM using librbd and OpenStack

Just for posterity, my ultimate solution was to patch nova on each
compute host to always return True in _check_shared_storage_test_file
(nova/virt/libvirt/driver.py)

This did make migration work with "nova live-migration", with one
caveat.  Since Nova is assuming that /var/lib/nova/instances is on
shared storage (and since I hard coded the check to say "yes, it
really is"), it thinks the /var/lib/nova/instances/<domain> folder
will exist at both source and destination, and makes no attempt to
create it on the destination.  So before I run live-migration, I pop
over to the source host, and rsync that folder to the destination.

A little dirty, but it allows me to move running VMs around just fine
in cases of maintenance on a host, which is exactly what I need.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

 - Travis