Re: Live migration of VM using librbd and OpenStack

Thanks for the response, Trevor.

The root disk (/var/lib/nova/instances) must be on shared storage to run the live migrate.
I would argue that it is on shared storage.  It is an RBD stored in Ceph, and that's available at each host via librbd.

You should be able to run block migration (which is a different form of the live-migration) that does not require shared storage.
I think block-migration would not be correct in this instance.  There is no file to copy (there is no disk file in /var/lib/nova/instances/<domain>).  Where is it going to copy it from/to?  It's already an RBD.

I know this is supposed to work [1].  I'm just wondering if it requires disabled the "true" live migration in libvirt.  I think Josh will know.

[1] https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg15074.html