Re: Live migration of VM using librbd and OpenStack

Travis,

The root disk (/var/lib/nova/instances) must be on shared storage to run the live migrate. You should be able to run block migration (which is a different form of the live-migration) that does not require shared storage.

Take a look at: http://www.sebastien-han.fr/blog/2012/07/12/openstack-block-migration/ for information regarding the block level migration.

-Trevor

On 2013-03-12 15:57, Travis Rhoden wrote:
Hey folks,

Im wondering if the following is possible.  I have OpenStack (Folsom)
configured to boot VMs from volume using Ceph as a backend for Cinder
and Glance.  My setup pretty much follows the Ceph guides for this
verbatim.  Ive been using this setup for a while now, and its all
been really smooth.

However, I if I try do a live-migration, I get this:

RemoteError: Remote error: RemoteError Remote error:
InvalidSharedStorage_Remote vmhost3 is not on shared storage: Live
migration can not be used without shared storage.

One thing I am doing that may not be normal is that I am trying to do
the "true" live migration in KVM/libvirt, having set this in my
nova.conf:

live_migration_flag=VIR_MIGRATE_UNDEFINE_SOURCE,VIR_MIGRATE_PEER2PEER,VIR_MIGRATE_LIVE

Anyone know if this setup should work?  Or if there is something I
should tweak to make it work?  I was thinking that having the RBD
available via librbd at both the source and destination host makes
that storage shared storage.  Perhaps not if I am trying to do live
migration?  If I do OpenStacks normal "live" migration, it will pause
the VM and move it, which is less than ideal, but workable.

Thanks,

 - Travis